Click the file (right) to access the "NAPNAP Position Statement on the Integration of Mental Health Care in Pediatric Primary Care Settings."
Screens & Scales
- Overview of broadband screens and explanations, by PEDStest.com
- APA compendium of DSM-V online emerging assessment measures
- Preventing Teen Suicide (AAP)
- "When do I need to seek a psychiatry referral?"
Screening Tools for Use in Primary Care:
- HEADSSS -- Home, Education, Activities, Drugs, Sexuality, and Suicide/Depression (Goldenring & Cohen, 1988) ... and some add Safety as an extra 'S' -- It is a screening tool is a psychosocial evaluation tool for primary care providers working with adolescents
- SSSHADES -- cousin of HEADSSS, but it start with "Strengths"
- CRAFFT -- AAP's behavioral health screen for adolescents whom may be high risk for alcohol and other drug use disorders. The screen hard-copy is here.
- Pediatric Symptom Checklist (Bright Futures)
- Disability Assessment, S. 2.0 (WHO)
Overview, by Bright Futures
SBIRT course: Introduction to SBIRT for adolescents. A free self-paced video based online course designed to teach providers the basics of screening, brief intervention and referral to treatment for their adolescent patients. eight content videos that range from 12-17 minutes in length, totaling approximately two and a half hours of video. Each video is followed by a short quiz with a total of 15 questions. The course does NOT need to be completed in one sitting and should take you three to four hours.
Very useful links from PEDStest website:
AAP Motivational Interviewing Video Series - 6 videos demonstrate examples of patient/family encounters covering difficult conversation areas such as depression, disruptive behavior disorders, social-emotional health, substance use, suicide & self-harm
AACAP's "Facts for Families" -- helpful handouts for families; for full list of topics, click here. (for example, they have great brochures on topics like "The Anxious Child", "Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder in Children and Adolescents", and "Children Who Can’t Pay Attention, Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder"
Suggestions on integration of behavioral health (mental health + substance abuse) into primary care, including models of integration:
A few quick summaries for parents regarding...